Tag: Carbon Monoxide

16 results found

Time for The Holiday Safety Certificate!

We are now only days away from the 10th Anniversary of the deaths of Christianne & Robert Shepherd, who succumbed to Carbon Monoxide poisoning whilst on holiday in Corfu. We are also over 12 months on from the Wakefield inquest held into their deaths. The horror of their fate was revealed by the findings of the inquest, which in turn has caused deep reflection at the heart of the Travel Ind... 22 October 2016

Call to Action on Holiday Safety Failures of the EU Commission

Campaigners and the Travel Industry have suffered a recent disappointment, delivered by Commissioner Jourova from DG Justice at the EU Commission. The Commission decided that an important Consultation on Safety in Holiday Accommodation was being concluded, apparently on the basis of finding no Consumer Detriment or that there was any failure of law or enforcement committed by Member States. Th... 19 November 2015

HolidayTravelWatch welcomes forthcoming Coroner's report and calls again on UK Government to act on Carbon Monoxide

HolidayTravelWatch has since 2006, followed the tragic Corfu Carbon Monoxide case which caused the deaths of Robert & Christianne Shepherd. The Organisation monitored the inquest held into their death's and attended the proceedings in Wakefield. The jury in that case made a number of observations as to the evidence which led to the Coroner delivering a verdict of unlawful killing and that t... 5 October 2015

HolidayTravelWatch expresses disappointment at UK Government’s failure on Carbon Monoxide in Holiday Properties

Today marks the day when new regulations enter into force, to require Landlords of rented properties to install and maintain Carbon Monoxide & Smoke Alarms. Whilst any measure to prevent death and injury is always welcome, the regulations expose a deficit in political thinking and action to protect many more ordinary citizens! The new regulations only apply to those rented properties that... 1 October 2015

Travel Industry comments greeted with interest; Consumer Groups call for pan-European Law on Hotel Safety

A report from ITV News revealed that the Travel Industry are apparently calling for Universal Standards on Health & Safety in Holiday Accommodation. Whilst we would welcome any initiative to provide comprehensive Consumer Protection, an examination of their comments reveal some unanswered questions. It appears that the Industry is calling for a uniform standard in holiday accommodation, t... 26 May 2015

The Thomas Cook Affair - Carbon Monoxide Implications!

On Wednesday 13 May 2015, the Jury in the Wakefield Coroners Court, returned a verdict on their inquiry into the deaths of Christianne & Robert Shepherd from Carbon Monoxide poisoning in Corfu in 2006. They held that the children had been 'unlawfully killed', they made a number of observations about the standard of the holiday accommodation and held that Thomas Cook had breached their Du... 18 May 2015

The Thomas Cook Affair 2 - Compensation?

The news that Thomas Cook had allegedly received £3.5m after the Corfu Carbon Monoxide case in Corfu released an angry backlash from media, the family affected by the deaths of Christianne & Robert Shepherd and Consumers. Frank was interviewed by BBC Radio Leeds for his reaction to the news.   Frank told listeners that he was aware that an award had been made 2 years previously but... 18 May 2015

Campaigners call for Action following Corfu Carbon Monoxide Verdict!

The verdict of 'unlawful killing' and a finding that Thomas Cook breached their Duty of Care following an inquest into the deaths of Christianne & Robert Shepherd, presents the Travel Industry with a wake-up call on hotel safety! The Jury revealed a number of short-comings in the hotel property and in particular the boiler and its maintenance, but the most important concerns raised by the... 14 May 2015

Call for EU Regulation on Hotel Safety following Carbon Monoxide Verdict!

The 13 May 2015 will be remembered as a watershed day following the stunning verdict delivered by the Jury in Wakefield Coroners Court into the deaths of Christianne & Robert Shepherd. In 2006, these two young children died from Carbon Monoxide poisoning whilst on holiday at the Louis Corcyra Hotel on Corfu in Greece. Their deaths produced a shockwave throughout Greece, amongst Holidaymak... 13 May 2015

Responsible Holidaymaker saves worker from Carbon Monoxide!

I was talking to a holidaymaker the other day about his holiday home. Like many thousands of Britons, he and his wife have invested in a property abroad, to provide them with that bolt-hole or with rental income when they are not using the property. Like all property owners they work at maintaining their property so that they can deliver a high standard for themselves or their visitors. In des... 9 February 2015