For a number of years we have been working alongside campaigning groups who are committed to ridding us of the scourge that is Carbon Monoxide (CO). There is however a growing realisation that CO may not be the only poison to consider as there are other toxins found in the preparation or burning (complete or otherwise) of fuel; this is known as CO+. There is a strong link on this topic to the issues found in the Aerotoxic campaign. This is an important debate because it does not just affect those who hire a holiday cottage or apartment, but every holidaymaker, including those that use throwaway barbeques.
We have reported on the deaths and injury caused by this entirely preventable situation and would observe that the issue in the UK (as well as the rest of Europe) is serious, particularly when you have some 500,000 to 1.5m people on holiday in the UK alone depending on the season!
We have worked with the All-Party Parliamentary Carbon Monoxide Group and until recently sat with other campaigning colleagues on the CO+SAVi sub-group which is contained within the All Fuels Action Forum at Policy Connect.
We have recently worked with colleagues to promote amendments (paid for by two small charities) to be incorporated into the Energy Bill. The response from parliamentarians generally has been disappointing, some in their defence state that the Energy Bill is not an appropriate place for such amendments. However, one local MP in his literature explains that monies gained from taxation via the Bill should be used to make homes more secure, in other words more energy efficient, in other words, a home that is hermetically sealed.
A home that is hermetically sealed, or a tent that has been created with new technologies to be more effiicient at keeping the heat in, fails to allow the gases or fumes to escape, hence increasing the danger for injury and death. Indeed there is a good argument to consider not just the escape of CO but of other toxins used or found in fuel, hence our concerns over CO+.
Therefore, we think that for all Consumers, holidaymaker or otherwise, the best opportunity to really tackle the scourge of CO+ has passed by.
In Europe, we have some movement via the EU parliament where MEP's are anxious to promote fire and CO minimums in all holiday property - we are supporting this work and will work to remove the dangers of CO+.
In the same way, we argue that fumes on cruise ships need to be tackled, as so many holidaymakers report to us the effect of their exposure to fumes.
Consider also the chemical exposure that holidaymakers face sometimes at their holiday hotel, often being produced by failures in swimming pool maintenance, building work or chemicals sprayed around a garden area.
In all cases, particularly in CO+, holidaymakers complaints are not taken seriously and in some cases they have been accused of taking drugs or being drunk!
We say there needs to be a seismic shift in thinking by the travel industry and policiticians to ensure that Consumers are protected - this is a big debate, raising fundamental issues and questions over toxins in our living and working environment. This page along with our press releases will feature the growth of our campaign and commentary on the issues that affect you!
CO-Gas Safety (COGS) has celebrated its 20th Year of Campaigning and held its last Schools Poster Competition at the House of Lords on Tuesday 27 January 2015. We were honoured to be asked to deliver a speech at this event and did so about the state of Consumer Campaigning. Whilst we delivered our speech from a Carbon Monoxide perspective, we brought together the sum of our experiences from ar... READ MORE 27 January 2015
We have been following the recent developments in the debate on Carbon Monoxide (CO) and Carbon Monoxide+ (CO+) and noted that the All-Party Parliamentary Carbon Monoxide Group (APPCOG) were carrying out an inquiry into 'Consumer Behaviour'. We were concerned to read however that submissions to the Inquiry would not be published and considered that this flew in the face of the accepted protoc... READ MORE 21 May 2014
Toxins are becoming an ever increasing holiday complaint! Whether it is by land, sea or air, we are hearing from increasing numbers of UK holidaymakers affected by their exposure to toxins whilst on holiday. These same holidaymakers also tell us of how their tour operator fails to react adequately to the complaints of their exposure. One of the main problem areas concerns the issue of Carbon M... READ MORE 20 May 2014
Dear Members of APPGSG I had intended to write to thank you for your recent kind invitation to the House of Commons, to hear of the work of APPGSG and the updates from various members and organisations, particularly in relation to CO in holidays. You may recall that I offered the view of HolidayTravelWatch on this important topic and provided what we believe are common sense solutions to this... READ MORE 8 May 2012
HolidayTravelWatch has learned through TravelMole, of the very sad case of a man, who was killed as a result of having being overcome by Carbon Monoxide (CO) fumes, whilst on a camping holiday in the Lake District. We understand that his wife is suffering with the serious after-effects of CO exposure. The article advises that the couple apparently brought their barbecue equipment into the 'po... READ MORE 19 March 2012
The Consumer has recently become the beneficiary of 2 important pieces of legislation; The Corporate Manslaughter & Corporate Homocide Act 2007 and The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008, the first having entered into law in April this year and the second becoming law in May 2008. The first is clearly designed to combat the activities of corporate entities, whose acti... READ MORE 30 April 2008